bkgrd

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

DC trip

Just a little bit about our trip to DC a couple of weeks ago. We had a great time! I'm so glad that we were out of there before the craziness of the inauguration. Oh, and on a random note.....over $150 million spent on the inauguration? I guess someone forgot to tell them about the recession. I'm so glad that we can spend that much on the events for one day and people in my school system (and all over the nation) are going to lose their jobs because of budget cuts this year. Crazy.



Back to the trip....it had been sooo long since my last trip to DC and Heath had never been, so it was great to have the chance to go. Heath had a training class for his job and Bryce and I just kind of tagged along for the journey. Three things I had forgotten about DC immediately came back to me: how cold it gets, how incredibly bold the squirrels are (check out the one that claimed our stroller), and how much walking it requires. Lol - we froze to death (which you can probably tell by looking at the pictures!). It was great just getting away and having some much needed family time though.


Bryce was such a good sport on this trip. DC is definitely not the place for preschoolers and is not in any way geared toward them. He did an awesome job hanging out at the museums and chillin' around the city with us though. His favorite parts were the Air & Space Museum and....riding the Metro. Yes, my child thought that the Metro was some sort of amusement park ride! At the Air & Space Museum, he thought it was super cool to get on the model rocket ship and see all the astronaut suits. His absolute favorite part of the entire trip was eating the "astronaut ice cream" that we bought for him. For any of you who have tried it before, it is the nastiest stuff ever - but he liked it and that's all that counts! We still have a little bit if any of you want some...







All in all, it was a great trip. I'm really glad that we got away for a few days. Heath had to stay several days longer than Bryce and I could (maybe because I used all my days off to go to Disney in October!!). I am proud to say that Bryce and I flew back by ourselves. Getting through security at Reagan airport with luggage and a 3 year old was easier said than done. I could have punched the little security guy who saw that I clearly had my hands full and a huge line behind me....he made me go back and remove Bryce's Spiderman hoodie. Wow, that hoodie looked dangerous!! I guess he was afraid it would give Bryce the power to shoot spiderwebs and wreak havoc in the airport. Ahh! I know it's all to keep us safe, but in the "frazzled mommy moment", I was not caring about that. Bryce did great on the flight though and we were beyond thrilled to see my dad waiting for us at the Charleston airport. We wound up having to drive home in a nasty snow storm - so I was incredbily thankful that dad was sweet enough come to pick us up! It's great to still be Daddy's little girl :)

1 comment:

Christin said...

I love this story. I'm so glad y'all had an awesome time. (And I'm with you on how much money was spent for just that 1 day.) Totally insane considering the state of our economy! I think they said that only 40 million was spend on Bush's? I'm not sure if that's accurate, but man! if it is...Insane doesn't even really cover it, eh? hahaha! Love you!