So, the 3 of us headed to the pet store. Of course, we were paired up with this really effective little sales girl at the pet store to help us with the fish buying experience. She convinced me that it "stressed the fish out" if you only got one of them and would contribute to the fish dying faster. To make sure the new Havens' fish were happy, I decided that we would buy 3 of them (yes, I'm a sucker!). Heath found the girl's sales pitch completely amusing and starting mocking her "stress" theory. He pointed to one of the tanks which held 20 dead fish (not even one living fish in the tank) and commented that the stress level in that tank must be extremely high. The sales girl didn't find him at all amusing and curtly told him that there had been a malfunction with a chemical they had added to the tank. Hehe :)
We wound up with one goldfish and 2 tetras. Bryce was thrilled with his new buddies and helped me hold their bag the whole way home. While we were driving, we picked out names for all the fish. When we first asked Bryce what he wanted to name the purple fish, he said something in his own little crazy language (which he randomly does sometimes). His gibberish sounded like he said "Jassi the squirrel" so I foolishly asked him if that was what he had said. Of course, he found that hilarious and from that point on was adamant that the purple fish would be named "Jassi the squirrel." Hmm...
Next, we asked Bryce what he wanted to name the blue fish. He quickly responded, "Blue Eyes Bryce Michael Havens." Wow - I think we have totally told him about his blue eyes way too often, don't you? For short, we are calling the blue fish "Blue Bryce." Oh my...
If you think the naming debacle is over, you are wrong. Now, on to the goldfish. As we were driving, I made the foolish comment that the goldfish was umm...using the bathroom. Bryce thought that was so funny! So, when we asked him what he wanted to name it later during our drive, all he could talk about was how it had gone poopie. I was trying to steer the naming process away from the poor fish's bodily functions, when my charming husband chimes in that we should name the fish "Poopiana Jones." Bryce and Heath outvoted me....and so the name stuck. I will grudgingly admit that it is a fitting name for that nasty goldfish though! All I can say it thank goodness we only got 3 fish, because I can only imagine what other names we could have come up with!
Surprisingly enough, Bryce is still very much excited about his fish and wants to watch and feed them constantly. I thought he would lose interest quickly, but thankfully he hasn't! Now, for the tricky part....keeping them alive! Also, time for Mommy and Daddy to draw straws to see who has to clean the tank out every week!!
No comments:
Post a Comment